Got a burning question about our campervan hire? Not to worry, we’ve got plenty of answers to help you out.

About the Campervan

How many can the campervan seat?

Our campervan has 6 belted seats all with 3-point belts.

What sort of mileage will I get?

Our VW Camper has the fantastically efficient VW 140bhp 1.9 tdi engine giving you an incredible 40 MPG - almost 50% better than other campervans of a similar size. It translates to approximately 600 miles per tank, and there’s no daily mileage limit.

Is the van warm enough at night or in the winter?

It is, in fact it’s cosy! The van is very well insulated and includes a fantastic digitally controlled Webasto heating system so you can set the system to be a cosy 21C for when you  get back from the pub! The van can be used in winter too, with the water tank placed inside so that nothing can freeze. We also can supply additional front window insulation pads for extra warmth.

Can we smoke in the van?

Definitely not.

Does the van have a toilet?

No, compact vans of this size generally don’t. Although there a portaloo is available.

What happens if the van breaks down?

Our van is covered with full roadside recovery. In the event of a major breakdown we will endeavour to supply you with a replacement vehicle. Where a replacement vehicle is not available we will refund your rental fees for each day or part day that the camper is unavailable to you.

Is the van branded?

No. We feel it’s important to blend in as much as possible, especially for added security.

How long will the electric power last which runs the lights & the fridge?

The fridge and small freezer compartment are powered by the leisure battery, along with the lights and water pump. The fridge will last for approximately 2 days when stationary and the engine charges up the leisure battery automatically when travelling.

Hiring and Booking

What is the insurance cover?

Your insurance is included in the rental price, and covers two drivers aged 25-70, with a full driving licence and with no more than 6 points on their licence. Our insurance company can arrange (with an additional premium) insurance cover for additional drivers, drivers aged 21-24 or over 70, and drivers with more than 6 points on their licences. You can choose to take out damage excess and/or windscreen and tyres insurance.

I’ve got points on my licence. Can I still hire?

It'll depend on how many points you’ve got and what they were issued for. We must disclose any points to our insurers who will then make a decision. You must have at least two years driving experience and have no endorsements and traffic convictions, except minor speeding offences, in the past five years.

Can I hire the campervan if I don’t have a UK licence?

Absolutely yes! If you have a UK, European, USA, Canada, New Zealand or Australia licence, then you are covered. If you don’t have one of the listed licences, do give us call and we can normally get you covered – there may be a few more things we will need to check in addition to your driving licence, but we can go through all this with you on the phone or by email.

How do I book?

Visit our availability page and complete the booking application to send your request. We will then contact you by email to send you a booking form to complete. The hirer must complete and return the booking form along with the deposit. If the deposit is not received within 7 days of sending out the booking form, we reserve the right to cancel the booking.

How much is the booking deposit?

The deposit is £200 per week of hire, which you can pay by cheque or BACS transfer.

The remaining balance is due 6 weeks prior to departure date (unless booking is made within 6 weeks of departure date – see our Terms & Conditions.) We all take a refundable security deposit of £600 which covers the excess on our insurance policy, as well as any issues upon return of the van. This is payable before or on departure date and is a requirement of our insurers.

How can I pay?

Internet bank transfer is best. We provide you with our bank details when you make a booking and you transfer the funds (deposit & balance) at the appropriate times. We can take a cheque if it arrives at least 2 weeks before your hire dates but we can’t accept cash payments I’m afraid.

Do I get my money back if I need to cancel?

In the event of a cancellation by the hirer, the following charges shall be incurred:

- 4 weeks or less before departure date: 100% of total hire charge

- 4-6 weeks before departure date: 50% of total hire charge

- More than 6 weeks before departure date: 20% of total hire charge

Do you offer one-way rentals?

One-way rentals in the UK may be possible but will incur a charge. Please contact us with your requirements.

Starting That Packing List

What do I need to bring on my holiday?

Clothes and outdoor gear are an essential, from boots to waterproofs. The campervan has storage space but we’d recommend only bringing items that you’ll definitely use to avoid any clutter. When it comes to those extras, we provide all the bedding, kitchen and washing up stuff that you’ll need. You’ll just need to go food shopping at some point for those essential meals (and marshmallows for toasting, of course!).

Should we bring suitcases or soft bags?

Soft bags would be best, since their flexible shape won’t take up excessive space. However, you’re more than welcome to unpack and leave your larger suitcases with us for the duration of the rental.

Can I bring my bike or hire one?

We have a tilting, tow bar mounted two-bike rack from Thule, that lets you still have access to the car boot even when the bikes are on the back. When it comes to hiring, we don’t have any of our own but you can book a bike with [XXX]. They’re a top quality bike shop and it’s a quick journey to collect from them after picking up the campervan.

Can I bring my dog?

Unfortunately we are not able to accept any pets.

Before You Drive Away

Where are you based?

We are based in the west end of Glasgow, only a 10 minute taxi ride from the city centre. For more information about transfers and travel, visit our location page.

What are pick up and drop off arrangements?

On departure day you can collect any time from 3pm, and drop off is by 12 noon on the return day. We can try to change those times if they just don’t fit your travel plans, but do let us know. As long as we can and there aren’t extra nights involved, we normally won’t ask for additional charges.

What documentation will I need to bring?

On departure day we will need to take a copy of your driver’s license, plus two proofs of address e.g. utility bills dated within the last 3 months. We also need one form of photo ID, or a passport if you still hold the traditional paper driver’s license. Don’t forget these documents - our insurance company will not let us hire out the campervan without them.

What kind of instruction will I be given about the van, appliances and how to use them?

You will receive full orientation of the van, appliances and maintenance responsibilities so that you can feel comfortable with the vehicle. There will be a manual in the campervan too and you’ll be given our contact number should you have any further questions on the trip.

Where Can I Travel?

Can I take the campervan to the Scottish islands?

Definitely, in fact we positively encourage you to do. If you want to book on a ferry then visit www.calmac.co.uk. You should book on as a ‘motorhome’ of less than 5m in length, and you’ll pay the same as a car would pay. Our camper van registration number is [XXX XXX] and the vehicle dimensions are: L4.9 - W1.9 - H2m. If you still have trouble making a booking please contact us.

Can I take the campervan to Ireland?

Yes, but please let us know.

Can I take the campervan to mainland Europe?

Yes, call us to discuss.

On The Adventure

Where can we stay at night?

There is an abundance of excellent campsites in Scotland and the UK, as well as plenty or fantastic wild camping spots. Please see the Plan Your Trip page for details.

What are the wild camping rules in Scotland?

Access laws in Scotland mean that you are allowed to camp on most unenclosed land, although one of main stipulations is that campers leave wild places untouched by their visit. Will you cause damage to the spot by driving over ground to get there? Will you be able to get out again if it rains overnight? If you can leave the land unaffected, then go ahead!

What is it like driving in Scotland?

Scotland has some of the most spectacular scenery and roads in western Europe and like the rest of the UK we drive on the left. In the Highlands and Islands we also have many roads that are single track with passing places. A few key pieces of advice handling them:

- Single track roads take a bit of getting used to, so take it easy, slow down and allow a little extra time for your journey.

- Enjoy the journey – give a wave and a smile to fellow travellers at passing places.

- Make sure you allow overtaking. When someone comes up you behind you, pull over into thenext available space on your left to allow them to overtake.

- Watch out for the furry natives - sometimes you may need to share the road with sheep, deer and the occasional otter!